This savory/sweet pita pocket is a take on a delicious panini I learned to make while working at a small sandwich shop in college. The ham and apple combo in the sandwich sounded so strange to me when my manager Linda, first taught me how to make it but one bite was enough to make it a fast favorite.
This easy pita sandwich delivers gourmet flavor for a small price and requires little time, effort and only a microwave to prepare. Best of all it
takes less than 10 minutes to make!
- Deli Ham
- Thin slices of a apple (I prefer Pink Lady apples but any sweet red apple you enjoy will do)
- 2 slices Havarti Cheese
*Havarti cheese is now easier to find in local grocery stores so don’t let this ingredient scare you away from trying this delicious sandwich. This mild soft cheese is now sold in precut slices near other popular cheeses or sometimes near specialty cheese/dairy sections of the supermarket.
- Wheat pita pockets/pita bread/ kangaroo pockes
1. Lay out a single slice of Havarti and place 2-3 thin slices of deli ham along the inside of the cheese.
2. Add 2-3 thin slices of apple.
3. Drizzle honey accross your thin apple slices.
4. Squirt on an equal portion of mustard (as honey) or less if you’d like a sweeter sandwich.
5. Now fold your cheese slice like a taco letting the ham stick to the honey and mustard on the apple.
6. Open you pita pocket gently and then place the havarti slice stuffed with ham, apples, honey, and mustard inside of the wheat pocket.
7. Put the pita pocket in the microwave for 30-45 seconds or until the cheese is completely melted and all of the inside contents are warm.